Friday, March 09, 2007

 

Surgery is Over

This will be quick as Bill's Mom, Mary Lee, and I have just returned from the hospital. I wanted everybody to know that Bill made it through surgery and is now in the neuro intensive care center. We kissed him good-bye at 7:15 AM and then we were at his bedside again at 5:00 PM. Dr. Tamargo and Dr. Niparko both raved that he set records in the surgery with his slow and steady heartrate. I whispered that into Bill's ear tonight and he managed a smile...
The surgery was a success. The tumor was larger than they had anticipated but that did not effect their abilitites to completely remove it and preserve his facial nerve. He will have facial weakness but should recoup with time.
We spent time with Bill's nurses who are wonderful. They are full of energy, and concern. Bill greets them each time they come in the room with a muffled hello. He is extremely uncomfortable and because they want him alert, are giving him minimal pain medication. Despite his severe headache and nausea to accompany it, he is lucid enough to want to connect with everybody. He is optimisitc and cheerful through the pain. He squeezed my hand and asked me how I was doing....his concern for others never diminishes!
I close knowing that the surgery is finally behind him and he is in good and safe hands during this difficult night. I will write more tomorrow and perhaps include some of Bill's thoughts as well.
Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. They reached us and continue to do so.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?